11:54 PM

The Twilight Zone

Posted by Melody

I woke up this morning and was going to set my alarm for a little later, but fell asleep before I could. I wake up 30 minutes before I was to be in an interview with a Cambridge professor. Yikes! I got there just fine and conducted the interview. He gave me 2 handbooks for the program there, which I found out was a post-graduate curriculum instead of a bachelor's. He also circled some schools in the handbooks for me to contact and observe. We talked about the differences between England and American schools. There seems to be a definite push that EVERY school in England is to be an inclusion school. They call it "Every Child Matters," which oddly sounded like the Bush program "No Child Left Behind," but I am going to do some further research into that.

After the interview, I left and went to the church...since both are on the same road. The church was doing their weekly Friday luncheon, so I thought I would swing in and volunteer. I walked from table to table talking to everyone. I am usually horrible with names and great with faces, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had remembered the names to just about everyone. When ready, I helped served the lunch to everyone. Lunch today was a creamy fish pie topped with mashed potatoes. The fish pie had both salmon and cod chunks in it with eggs (which some members expressed was a first for them), potato, peas, onion, carrots, celery, a couple of peppercorns, parsley, and I believe that I also tasted a bay leaf flavor.

For dessert, we had was what they called a jelly roly-poly, in a custard-like pudding. It was a pastry with jelly on it, rolled up in the same way peanut butter roll would be in America. Simple, but very good. Speaking of peanut butter roll, I told them that I would come make it next time I was in Cambridge. I remember making it many times in high school, so I know I can do it. They were very excited about it. Do you know of the five love languages? They are: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch. Cooking for people is something that I like to do, especially when the person has not tried something before. I think it would fall under "acts of service," but I really think I just need my own "cooking for others" category there. Haha!

After lunch, I stayed and helped clean up and get some people ready to leave. I left for the hotel and finished typing up my case study. I submitted that and started sorting through the handbooks and material that I had received during my interview. I went back to the church for my checkpoint meeting and then came back to the hotel.

New word of the day: vicar = pastor


Cheerio poppets!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for making my blog a two-way conversation. Getting comments from you really makes my day, and it is much more fun having you around! Nice comments only, please. (That means you, Anonymous.)