7:36 PM

Valentine's Day With The Scotties

Posted by Melody

I got up this morning at 7:30am. I packed up my stuff and went to breakfast. We loaded up the bus and took off toward Scotland. Andy stops off at a place right after the border to take a break. I went through the different shops. I saw a cute little Scottish Terrier plushie with a plaid beret and scarf on it. We load up the bus again and head off to pick up our Scottish tour guide, David.

David was hilarious! For every sentence that came out of his (or anyone else's) mouth, he had a funny little saying to go along with it. He showed us where the queen would stay when she visited Scotland. We drove up the Royal Mile with David pointing out random landmarks. He showed us Edinburgh Castle and the statue of Greyfriar’s Bobby. We wrapped around to High Street, and then arrived at the hostel.

The story of Greyfriar’s Bobby is an interesting one. The master died and his little dog followed the body to the grave, where he stayed on top of his master’s grave for 14 years, only leaving to get food and water at the local coffee shop, until he died. Bobby was named a ‘freeman’ of the town so he could go anywhere he wanted and not be bothered. It is truly a story of a dog’s loyalty for his master. A man’s true best friend.

We got our keys and went up to our rooms. I took a nap for a little while. I suddenly woke up, tried to go back to sleep, but then surrendered to the thought that I was up for good and that I could be doing something a little more productive with my time until dinner.

We had bread and a full place setting waiting for us when we came in. I thought that was pretty cool. They served us tomato soup. It was good with bread. For the main course, I had lasagna with french fries. I know, weird combination. For dessert, I had chocolate cake.

After dinner, almost the entire group decides to go on the ghost tour. We meet in the lobby and the group headed off to the tour. The tour guide lady shows up and starts us off. I paid 9 pounds for the tour thanks to the student discount. We walk around outside and hear some random facts (that I had already been aware of thanks to our day tour and Monty Python...haha!), then we go into the vaults underground and stuff. It was played off like it was all really scary and stuff, but it was not scary for me. It could definitely be scary for others, but I did not see, hear, touch, or feel anything that would cause me to be alarmed.

After the tour, we moved over to the free cinema area to watch some horror film that was playing. It looked like it had been made in the 70s or 80s. Most of the group left all in the span of 5 minutes and the remaining (including me) left about 20 minutes after that since it was a little past midnight. I come back to the room and worked on some stuff before bedtime.

New word of the day: spanner = wrench

Cheerio poppets!


Post a Comment

Thank you for making my blog a two-way conversation. Getting comments from you really makes my day, and it is much more fun having you around! Nice comments only, please. (That means you, Anonymous.)